Changes

It's been a while since I've been here, or anywhere of note. I've asked a thousand questions, over and over again; the answers are both different and true, each time.

I am still working on a creative life, though it's more quiet and internal. A very small percentage of my work ends up in the world for public consumption, anyhow.

My focus has shifted, is shifting.

I am 29 weeks pregnant. (Some things I've missed: tuna melts, yoga inversions, oil painting. Some changes I've found delightful: my beau waiting in a long queue of a trendy patisserie to find treats for me, feeling my baby grow and move.)

I've always struggled with the balance of a conventional and creative life. I worry that this struggle will become more acute, and that my creative life will be buried. During one of my times of battered internal dialogues, of raging self-doubt, I found this essay from an artist.

Teresita Fernandez's speech at Virginia Commonwealth University

It may be a constant touchstone. I will read this and remind myself, This is exactly where you are supposed to be.