Ode to October II: "Legends are born ..." edition

Giants win! (Centerfielder Angel Pagan celebrates.)
My San Francisco Giants won the NL pennant! The World Series begins tonight, just a few blocks from my office.

I grew up with Giants fever. Until 10 years ago, being a Giants fan meant that you stuck it out, braved the wintery Julys at the 'Stick, known as the coldest field in MLB. Shirtless men in the bleachers at night games were gladiators (and usually numb-drunk.) When nine innings were not punishing enough and the games went into extra innings, die-hards who stayed were rewarded with a Croix de Candlestick pin. We survived even when they lost. And in those days, they lost often.

Watching my Giants these last few weeks has brought back a lot of fond memories. I did not have a traditional childhood in many ways, but being a local-sports fan was one way it did feel "normal." We always sat in the bleachers. I always chose the first row in the far left corner, directly behind centerfield. Today, watching baseball brings some levity, makes me happy to cheer for something that others do as well, especially in the midst of the elections and an increasingly divisive country.