Watermelons, redwoods, wild fantasies

A few weeks ago, I met with this team to discuss an upcoming exhibition. In one hand, I lugged five oil paintings, each one carefully wrapped in fabric. In the other hand, I dragged a bag teeming with the contents of my weekly CSA box, which included a whole watermelon. This is the ideal story of my life: juggling art and food.

I have never had passionate, soul-feeding, creative time that did not involve art or food. I love cooking for dinner parties as much as I enjoy slathering gesso on canvas. (Grocery shopping and stretching canvases, however, are not preparative tasks I like.)

In my wildest fantasies, I'd merge art and food in a creative co-op, nestled somewhere in the coastal redwoods. There would be cabins, wherein each artist would create. Each artist would be financially responsible for his/her cabin, including mortgages/rents, taxes, maintenance, and utilities. We would grow food, keep chickens and bees. Every evening, we'd assemble for dinner, with rotating chef duties for the main course, side, and dessert. Every month, we'd have "open cabins" for sharing and critiques. I can only imagine the wild creativity I would enjoy there, and the long trail runs to clear my mind.

(Some day, my prince will come ...)